Sharing my passion for handcrafted jewelry, paper making, and living a creative life.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Moose Poo Paper - Chapter One


I didn't get chocolates for Valentine's Day, but I did get moose poo...which kind of looks like chocolates . My husband startled a moose the day before when he was walking to his workshop, so he knew right where to take me.


Most women wouldn't be thrilled with this particular gift but I am. I want to make moose poo paper. I made it years ago and people are still asking for my moose poo paper cards. I originally got the idea from a Somerset Studio magazine article (Vol 1 Issue 4) about Matuvi (elephant dung) paper from Africa. I was intrigued, but since we don't have elephants in Canada, I had to come up with a different source. Moose were a natural choice since they are frequent visitors to my home, they are large, producing plenty of raw material, and they are herbivores.

The moose in our area feed primarily on willow which is a material that I often use in my hand papermaking. The fibres from the moose poo are considerably shortened, though, so recycled paper is added for strength.


The moose poo will be sterilized and processed to remove all the impurities that are unsuitable for paper and for handling. Surprisingly, the moose poo does not smell unpleasant while it is being processed, unlike some plant materials that have the smell of rotting silage.
I make moose poo paper because it is a novelty. And talk about recycling! There is something quite wonderful about making a useful and beautiful product out of such a base material.
Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for more information on this! How interesting and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Those little pellet do look like chocolate-covered almonds! Can't wait to read the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I am not the proud owner of an orignial moose poop card, I can't wait to get it...and since I won't be following in your footsteps (is that a pun???) Liz, making paper from poo, I am sure this will remain an original in my shop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments. It means a lot to me.