Sharing my passion for handcrafted jewelry, paper making, and living a creative life.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Treasure Hunting

I just returned from a short holiday at my sister's in Edmonton.  The drive was long but beautiful scenery and wildlife driving through Jasper National Park.


Knowing how much I love finding used treasures, my sister planned out a whole week's agenda of second hand shopping for my visit - garage sales, antique malls, re-use centre, thrift stores and a flea market. She had found some great stuff for me before I got there and we found all kinds of wonderful things in our search, too.


Lots of baubles and beads for mosaics.



Old books, music, newspapers, and atlases for mixed media


A vintage RC Cola box for my art supplies


And an antique baker's loaf pan for a commercial oven for more art supplies!


My sis had also picked up a couple of golf clubs over the past two years for rentals on our golf course (under development).   We had a very full car coming home!
 

10 comments:

  1. I am so envious. Happy creating

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at the golf clubs, the rest I'm very very jealous of!! Great finds! Love that RC Cola crate.....yes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your storage containers - have a question tho. I too use a soda crate to hold pens, pencils & brushes but stuff slides thru. What brand/size cups did you use? did you have to cut them to the perfect height? right now I have chipboard taped at the bottoms but that doesn't always work and I can see some portability of the cups.

    Your cards were SO beautiful and such a hit on Father's Day. Still can't bring myself to use your papers but show them to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry, the cups are just the plastic drinking glasses you can get at the grocery store - 7 oz size. They don't go right to the bottom of the crate because they are wider on top but fill well enough. And they are easily replaceable if they get cracked.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed the cards and paper! Exactly what I always hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Indira - E-N-V-I-O-U-S!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun, and what fantastic finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cool idea for the loaf pan. i've had one of those in my basement for years and now i finally have a use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous! I would go thrift-hunting every day if I could! I love your new organizers especially - what a cool way to sort stuff and upcycle at the same time. Congrats on the awesome finds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz-Anna, you are definitely one of my tribe! I LOVE your finds! And I love your poppy paintings! I hope mine turn out as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just think it's so cool how many of us 'get it' when it comes to finding used treasures. Fortunately my whole family appreciates second hand and often our gifts to each other reflect that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments. It means a lot to me.